Insurance agents are first and foremost multitaskers. They’re also time management experts, networkers, travelers, glad-handers, early risers, and night owls. In this ultra-competitive field (there are estimated to be more than 2 million people in the insurance space), if you’re anything less than 100% committed to doing what it takes, you may as well hang it up and seek out another line of work.
Insurance agents typically work out of a home base of some sort, whether it be a home office or an agency, but most of the day is spent elsewhere, meeting with current clients, seeking out new clients, attending local networking meetings, closing deals, and so on. If you catch an insurance agent in the office, it’s either because they’ve arranged to meet a client there or they’re checking in -- and then they’re on the road again.
Here’s what a typical day might look like:
- Meet with or call potential clients to review or advise them on coverage
- Offer clients financial planning services
- Quote new policies and service existing policies
- Prepare reports and maintain sales records
- Spend time networking and prospecting new customers
That last part is important, because working with a potential new customer can make an insurance agent’s day a lot more interesting. Working with such a client, the agent will:
- Discuss various kinds of insurance policies
- Interview the client about their financial needs and any pre-existing coverage
- Explain the various features and the advantages and disadvantages of certain policies
- Customize the policies to suit the customer’s needs
- Deliver policies and answer questions
- Calculate premiums and set up payment methods
- Make sure all necessary forms are completed
- Contact the underwriters and submit forms for binder coverage
It’s a lot of hard work, and an agent has to know their stuff. But at the end of the day, it’s just another day in the life of an insurance agent!
J.K. Olivieri Insurance Agency, Inc. is an independent insurance agency founded in 1979 which represents a number of major insurance companies. Our mission is to protect our clients’ financial future. We feel our role as an insurance agency is to assist our clients in selecting the best possible programs to fill their specific needs. In doing so, we shall research and present our clients with the best possible programs available at the best possible prices.